Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 95 11:36 PDT
From:      pete@puffin.pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        msh@chesapeake.com
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Micron Millenium

In article <01BA88DF.72EB0780@cdsp25.chesapeake.com> you write:
>I am going to be installing a firewall and WWW/FTP server at my company
>soon, and am considering running these on FreeBSD. I have to specify the
>machines to buy for these (and we buy Micron PCs), so my question is
>this...

>Are there any known problems running FreeBSD on a Micron Millenium (uses
>Triton PCI chipset) Pentium machine with the following hardware:
>
>	- BusLogic BT-946C (Rev D) PCI SCSI controller
>	- SMC EtherPower PCI (10 Mb/s) Ethernet card
>	- Stealth 64 PCI graphics card

I'm running a ASUS board (also triton) with an adaptec 2940 and SMC PCI
controller (DEC 21040 model is supported *BUT* the newer 21041 model
isn't yet; David Greenman knows more about that.)  The 21040 diagnostic
disk that comes with the board won't even recognize the 21041 so they did
something pretty drastic :-(

I can't comment on the BT946.  Some firmware revs work and some don't,
apparently.  Jordan and Rod are probably the experts there.

Some stealth cards won't work with XFree86 but some will; I don't know much
about that since I use ISA/VLB cards in all of mine (mostly older S3 like
the Orchid Fahrenheit 1280) (already have them...)

>My main concern is the fact that I'll have three PCI cards (It seems I've
>seen stuff in the FAQs about the various PCI chipsets with multiple PCI
>cards). Also, is the SMC EtherPower card even supported under FreeBSD (I
>don't know what chipset it uses)? I probably won't be using X-Windows, so
>the graphics card is relatively unimportant (I could substitute for a
>vanilla VGA card if I had to).
>
>If the SMC EtherPower isn't compatible, will I lose a lot of performance
>using a lesser SMC Elite16 Ultra ISA card? Our link to our ISP will
>probably be only 56K, so PCI ethernet cards may not provide any advantage.
>Any thoughts?

I get 1100 cps ftp's to/from a sparc 20 with a 21040 SMC card (with IDE
disks on the P100, yet).  *any* ethernet card will work at 56k, even a
3c501...  SMC Elite16 ultras give 700-800 or so to/from the same sparc 20,
to/from the same kind of (ide) disk, so aren't shabby either.  On another
firewall we have a 386-25 running freebsd 1.1.5, running a news bridge
(not INN; won't run on an 8mb machine), the CERN web server, and various
ftp/rlogin/dns stuff with plenty of spare cycles. (but it keeps running
out of disk space & noone wants to upgrade it...)  (don't use a 3c501 for
the _internal_ ethernet side but elite ultras should be fine if the PCI
doesn't make it :-)

56k links aren't demanding :-)  (but we can't run an X server with any of
the other stuff in the 8mb machine and not swap...)

>Thanks,
>Matt Hagadorn
>msh@chesapeake.com

-- Pete