Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 02:33:33 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My opinion about freebsd (fwd)

   (Before someone says GNU is a replacement for communism, remember this
   is all IMHO)

If GNU was communist, then the government would have declared that
everyone would use GNU, and Richard Stallman would be in charge
of software development in the US.

I recently spent a week with RMS, and although I respect him, I
don't htink I'd want to live in a world which he controlled.
I'm not sure I consider all the repetitive OS development productive,
but I'd certainly rather see the same SCSI driver written seprately
by the BSD and GPL communities rather than have the government mandating
that everyone use VMS and nothing else.

I wish everything could work by anarchy.  But I think money will always
be dominant.  I don't think we can get free food the way we have
free software, because software is inherently easy to copy, and
restirctions that make software non-free are artificial.  By
contrast, food production has always been time-consuming.