Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2018 11:42:08 -0700
From:      glenn <pygr@sonic.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ClearFog Base -- "status: no carrier" for mvneta1

Hi Luiz and Marcin,

Thank you for taking an interest in this.

I have looked into the problem further (Google is your friend) and made =
progress. After modification of the u-boot source before build, the =
message =E2=80=9Cstatus: no carrier=E2=80=9D for the second ethernet =
port no longer appears . The recipe is detailed in the last post in this =
thread: =
http://forum.solid-run.com/linux-kernel-and-bootloaders-f34/port-light-is-=
always-on-does-not-work-t3074.html =
<http://forum.solid-run.com/linux-kernel-and-bootloaders-f34/port-light-is=
-always-on-does-not-work-t3074.html>.=20

It was a surprise to me that modifying u-boot code affected the =
functioning of the ethernet after control was passed to the OS. =
Apparently some functionality that is built into u-boot continues to be =
used by the OS.

In addition to the changes in u-boot mentioned above, the =
armada-388-clearfog-base.dts was edited to allow the serial console to =
function. The second line in

serial@12000 {
                compatible =3D "marvell,armada-38x-uart=E2=80=9D;

was changed to=20

                compatible =3D "snps,dw-apb-uart=E2=80=9D;=20

I=E2=80=99m thinking the reason that that enabled the serial console is =
that FreeBSD doesn=E2=80=99t have a driver that responds to =
"marvell,armada-38x-uart=E2=80=9D but does have one that responds to =
"snps,dw-apb-uart=E2=80=9D.

Glenn

> Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 11:57:32 -0300
> From: Luiz Otavio O Souza <lists.br@gmail.com>
> To: Marcin Wojtas <mw@semihalf.com>
> Cc: pygr@sonic.net, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org"
> 	<freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: ClearFog Base -- "status: no carrier" for mvneta1
>=20
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 at 00:43, Marcin Wojtas wrote:
>>=20
>> Hi Glenn,
>>=20
>> I can see, that armada-388-clearfog-base.dts connects eth1 to a PHY =
via MDIO.
>> Unfortunately my Clearfog boards have the SFP cage connected only to
>> the SGMII lanes only (no PHY).
>>=20
>> Can you please try to boot with armada-388-clearfog.dts, where the =
SFP