Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:15:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        softweyr@xmission.com (Softweyr LLC)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Abmahnung

Softweyr LLC writes:
> % Hmm?  I read "Abmahnung" as 'dissuasion' or something similar implying a
> % warning away from something.
>>
>> No, it's an active legal term.  There's a very good German word,
>> "Warnung", for what you're talking about.  I don't think "Abmahnung"
>> has a translation because the action itself is so despicable.
>
> Knowing how Germanic roots work in English, the literal translation
> is probably "Admonition."  It has the connotation of a warning
> (warnung) that borders on preaching or harping.

Knowing how legal people work anywhere, I'd say your linguistic
derivations are on shaky ground.  There's also a word "Verwarnung"
which comes closer to admonition, though in legal usage both are
associated with a fee.

>> As if that weren't bad enough, the ostensible copyright infringement
>> is not even for the word Triton--it's something vaguely similar.  He's
>> on very thin ice, and I'm surprised that no group has formed to
>> prosecute him.
>
> It probably wouldn't stand up in the USA, where a fairly direct
> conflict is required to prove trademark infringement.

That's something positive, anyway.

> I've often wondered if I could make a fortune by buying a bunch of
> Geo Metros, knocking the badgework off, and re-marketing them as
> "MS-Car97."

Sure.  Wait until Gates sues you, plead bankruptcy and sell your story
to the news media :-)

Greg