Date:      Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:41:22 +1000
From:      Timothy Smith <timothy@open-networks.net>
To:        iwan@staff.usd.ac.id
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: exploiting kernel

iwan@staff.usd.ac.id wrote:

>I'm sorry my english makes confuse, my email mean:
>I need to know about kernel's freebsd exploiting to
>securing my box. And I need to know how hackers do that
>(and what kind of tools they used) either.
>
>Thanks.
>

>>iwan@staff.usd.ac.id wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>Can kernel's freeBSD exploited by tools hacking ? If
>>>true,
>>>can I know how to fix this problem, and what tools can do
>>>that.
>>>
>>>Thanks alot

>>thats a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.
>>the port chkrootkit can help tell you if a root kit has
>>been installed
>>on your system, thats all i can tell you with the
>>information you gave.

for security, generally the kernel and base is not the biggest concern,
it is ports.
read this section on keeping your ports up to date
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

and this info is on securing the system in general
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/security-advisories.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/securing-freebsd.html

if you have already been broken into, some details on what happened will
help us advise you on what they probably used.