Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 05:48:45 +0000
From:      drifter <drifter@stratos.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it just me, or are people forgetting how to write mail?

>> // Greg Lehey wrote:
>> // > It seems to me that in the last couple of months the number of
>> // > hard-to-read mail messages has significantly increased.  I've come to
>> //
>> // I have noticed a large increase in this as well;
>> //
>> // o Not quoting the original message, just supplying an out-of context
>> //   answer.

	Just my two cents worth:

	You want to talk about hard to read messages? What about people's
addictions to TLAs? (Three Letter Abbreviations) I mean, come on now...
	I can understand a BTW now and then, but all this business with
YMMV, IMO (or IMHO), or AFAIK, or WEAC2M (Whatever Acronym Comes to Mind)
is ridiculous.
	It took me some time to get AFAIK -- but that's not by far the worse
of it. Seriously, some people over do it, and it can be aggravating trying
to translate these things people think make them look clever. Some of them
are so weird I can't remember them off the top of my head (and it's too
early, anyway, IMO !!!!)
	Please, for the LOVE OF GOD, lose the capital abbreviations!!!
	A public service for vi users:
        (put in ~/.exrc, and go nuts)

		:abbrev IMHO in my humble opinion
		:abbrev YMMV your milage may vary
		:abbrev AFAIK and for all I know
		:abbrev	BTW by the way
		:abbrev 4TLOG for the love of God
		:abbrev ppl people

	You get the idea :)
	JM2CW...

drifter@stratos.nospam.net (remove nospam to send)
     "Ever notice that in every commercial about the Internet, advertising
geniuses can't resist having a bunch of kids staring into a monitor, awe-
struck, looking at a whale jumping out of the ocean? Or is it just me?"