Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:17:46 -0600
From:      "Seth Andreas Hieronymus" <shieronymus@hiertech.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   tcp sequence prediction question

Hello,

When comparing nmap -O output for my FreeBSD server (4.3RC4) and a Linux
machine (2.4), there are significant differences in their tcp sequence
prediction difficulties.  FreeBSD only had on the order of 15,000 - 20,000,
while Linux had 3,000,000 - 5,000,000.  I saw that the security advisory
FreeBSD-SA-00:52.tcp-iss.asc was an attempt to strengthen the randomness of
this.  Did it help?  What is going on with the large differences?  Is this a
problem at all?

Thanks very much.  Hope I got the right list.

Seth

--- Signature ---
Seth Andreas Hieronymus
President