Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 09:31:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Seth <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> You claim to have read the list archives; they are full of explanations
> of the debugging process.

Actually, I agree with everything you've said up until this point.  My
question of last week dealt specifically with this topic, and has remained
unanswered.  It was a repeat of a similar question I asked approx. 2
months ago, again with no responses.  I've looked for material but haven't
found anything that deals specifically with interpreting debugger output.

I'm willing to put together a debugging FAQ as soon as I know myself how
to do it.  The message from last week is included below in the hopes that
someone paying attention to this thread could point me in the right
direction.  Thanks.

SB

---included message---
[ headers omitted ]

On Fri, 21 May 1999, David O'Brien wrote:

[ stuff about configuring a kernel with -g and setting dump deleted ]

> Then the next time you have a panic, the information necessary to debug
> the problem wil be available.
>
> --
> -- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)

Sorry for the (silly?) question, but what next?  I've done all of this,
and am still clueless as to how to access/analyze/whatever a crashdump
when something happens.  Right now I just drop into the debugger on
panic/fault, with no idea what to do next.  I usually just type "panic"
and the machine seems to reboot.  (I've read the ddb manpage, not even
sure whether it's the right thing to read, as the "panic" command isn't
documented there.)

Is there a tutorial on how to analyze crashdumps?  If not, would someone
familiar with the process please share his/her knowledge?  The next
time something bad happens, I'd like to post with some meaningful
information and avoid the "you haven't given us enough information"
speeches.  Thanks.

SB