Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 07:56:56 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Off topic - shell skills

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 11:51:17AM +0200, Alex Blagoveschensky thus spoke:
> Dave Wilson wrote:

> > Hi guys, howzit going ?

> > I have about 600 DNS zones on my DNS server, now because we are changing IP
> > addresses on our mail server most of those zones' MX/A records will need
> > updating.
> > How do I write a shell script that will change:

> > mail    IN      A  10.1.1.58

> > to:

> > mail    IN      A  10.0.0.1

> > ?

> > I need this script to parse through each zone, so when it finds "10.1.1.58"
> > in a zone it will change the "10.1.1.58" to "10.0.0.1".
> > Please help if you can.

> Try this. But what will you do with Serial in SOA ? ;-)

I have all the domains I manage in a separate subdirected and
in each record is the line

$INCLUDE named.soa

Then I have one file with the serial number and all the expire time,
in which I change the serial number.  Never miss changing a serial
number when I make lots of changes.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com