Date:      23 Oct 2001 13:42:24 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On holy wars and a plea for peace

Dag-Erling Smorgrav -- you wrote:

> Let's please not have long passionate diatribes about [insert your
> favorite religion] on this list.  We don't want this kind of flame war
> here.  Learn to hit 'reply' instead of 'followup' or 'group reply'.

Haven't you twice in the last few days sent complaints about this to the
list?  I think it's safe to say that most people don't mind ignoring
threads they aren't interested in because they can expect them to peter
out soon enough.

And "we"?  Who's that?  So far I've seen two posts that support that
statement, but they're both from you, while at least ten people have
participated in what I think you've inaccurately called a flame war.

From
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html

freebsd-chat --
"Non-technical items related to the FreeBSD community"
"about non-technical, social information"
"whether Jordan looks like a toon ferret or not"
"where the best beer is brewed"

Unless you can get that changed, I think you're going to have to get out
your John Lennon and imagine a mailing list without religion or politics
or whatever it is that you do not want FreeBSD users to discuss here.

Regarding your subject line: I think language works better when peace is
about putting fingers to keys and war is about putting fingers to
throats.  I know there's a movement to consider any expression of
conflicting views an act of violence worthy of government sanction
(mostly in civil court so far, but finding its way into statutes), but
I see it as slippery slope into a tub of tar.  Maybe dope-smokers like
Lennon can imagine a world without conflicting opinions, but the rest
of us need to learn to live with it in a state of peace (and not by
stifling all exchange of opinion or hauling each other into courts).

No hard feelings here (yet) but do remember that it is bad e-tiquette to
repeat yourself before you can expect many new people in your audience.