Date:      Sat, 5 Sep 1998 11:23:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF -current users: HEADS UP

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, John Polstra wrote:

> > > ahead)?  Understand the point of this question isn't system libs,
> > > its all the ports stuff, which just won't transition in one swell
> > > foop like the system did.
> >
> > Move _all_ your a.out libs (except perhaps your static ones, which
> > can most likely be deleted) to /usr/lib/aout. This frees up any
> > other dirs to be purely ELF.
>
> One other thing I didn't mention.  I am about to commit a fix which
> will make ldconfig -aout ignore ELF shared libraries, and vice versa.
> So if you have a directory containing both, the two invocations will
> each pick only the correct libraries, ignoring the other ones.
>
> Actually I thought it was already that way, but I was wrong.

Arghhh.  I read this after the last message.  This solves the ports
problem neatly.  Thanks, it was something like this I was specifically
looking for.

> John
> --
>    John Polstra                                       jdp@polstra.com
>    John D. Polstra & Co., Inc.                Seattle, Washington USA
>    "Self-knowledge is always bad news."                 -- John Barth

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).