Date:      Mon, 05 May 1997 15:35:02 +0100
From:      "John O'Farrell" <john@o-farrell.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, Joe Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Subject:   Re: Installing FBSD on a second hard disk.

Hi Mike,

At 19:52 05/05/97 +0930, you wrote:
>John O'Farrell stands accused of saying:
>> Of course I tried using the bootstrap prompt, with the following result;
>
>(You didn't say this; how could I possibly have known?)

You couldn't, Sorry.

>> Error D:0X81 C:0 H:0 S:0
>> Error D:0X81 C:0 H:0 S:0
>> Error D:0X81 C:0 H:0 S:0
>>
>> scrolling endlessly off the screen
>
>Ok.  In this case, I think I must have missed something in your
>configuration.  You have an IDE disk with your Windows stuff on it;
>do you have an IDE CDROM?  Have you tried other BIOS offsets with the
>syntax

I have an Adaptec 2940 with three SCSI devices, Seagate hawk 2 Gig drive as
sd0 running Window NT 4.0, An 8 speed SCSI CD Rom and the Jaz drive sd1. As
you say the Jaz is perfectly accessible and happy under Win NT. The only
IDE device is the 3.5 floppy disk drive.

The Jaz drive is using SCSI ID 4 in the Adaptec SCSI bios. I have changed
this in the bios setting to ID 0 but then FreeBSD cannot find the kernel. I
have assumed that this is due to the make having been made on setting sd1
rather than sd0?

I could try changing the Adaptec SCSI bios for the Jaz Drive 4 to be the
boot drive and then reinstalling FreeBSD? Would this then result in the Jaz
being sd0?

>X:sd(0,a)kernel
>
>where 'X' is some value 0, 1, 2, etc. ?  It sounds like your BIOS is
>happy booting from the Jaz, there should be no reason why the
>bootstrap should be unhappy.  What does the bootstrap print as its default?

Forgive my ignorance but what does the X: stand for? I am getting confused
between the SCSI bios setting and sd (scsi drive) settings FreeBSD seems to
see two drives sd0 and sd1 the Jaz is sd1 but has a bios ID of 4 the
Seagate is sd0 and has a bios setting of 0.

Thank you
John

--
John O'Farrell