Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:59:07 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        batz <batsy@vapour.net>, Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
Cc:        lewwid <lewwid@telusplanet.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, Max Mouse <maxmouse@maxmouse.org>
Subject:   Re: PHP 4.1.2

At 03:31 PM 3/12/2002 -0500, batz wrote:
>Though I suppose cvsup'ing the ports tree on a regular basis would
>accomplish the same thing, it might be nice to do it on a security
>specific basis.

I don't think so.  The port maintainers can upgrade their ports without
much fear of breaking the rest of the base OS, unlike commits to
STABLE.  This is why RELENG_4_X was created.  You get all the critical
fixes ( mostly security at this point ) without having to worry about all
the other muck in -STABLE that could possibly cause problems or change
expected behavior.

No need to add unnecessary complexity.  The ports work quite well as is.

--
Christopher Schulte
http://www.schulte.org/