Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:12:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        lrios@ziplink.net (lrios)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Sendmail

lrios wrote:
> I'm currently running FreeBSD 2.2.5 on a Pentium II 266mhz machine with
> 256M ram and finding performace issues with Sendmail.. I've placed much
> load on this machine and found that I can old get about 200 emails per
> minute.. Just for comparison I did that same on a Linux machine running a
> 75 mhz Pentium and 32 mb ram and found that it could put about 500 per
> minute.  I also found that the pentium two barely took a breath while the
> linux machine was at 20% idle (not a suprise).. Is that because of
> different memory managers or some type of kernel config?? Any ideas would
> be greatly appreciated...

two options:
1.	mount your mail spool asynchronous.
	be prepared to lose mail (and anything else on that partition)
	if someone accidently powers-down the box.

	linux uses ext2fs which behaves similary to ufs with the
	asynchronous option.

	i find it to be too dangerous for the FreeBSD mailing lists.
	you have to decide for yourself.

2.	run additional sendmail processes to deliver the mail.
	make sure that you are using host status files, check
	your sendmail.cf.   start another every 5 minutes so long
	as less than X are currently running.  set X according to
	your need and experience.

anyway:	200 messages a minute is equal to 12,000 an hour.
	we typically get 20,000 an hour with the mail spool mounted
	normally.  your 500 per minute translates to 30,000 an hour
	and too much risk for me.

jmb

--
Jonathan M. Bresler      FreeBSD Core Team, Postmaster       jmb@FreeBSD.ORG