Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 1995 16:50:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@csugrad.cs.vt.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   adaptec 294x question

I'm trying to install 2.0-950112-SNAP on an IBM PC with an Adaptec 2940
PCI card.  I grabbed the boot floppy images from 2.0-950112-SNAP/newer,
but I need to rebuild the kernel.  Unfortunately, after doing a 'config
MACHINE', make depend reports something like:

don't know how to make aic7xxx_seq.h

This error isn't fatal to make depend, but it is fatal to make.  I
looked at /sys/gnu/misc/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.seq, but that wasn't it (I don't
think).  Anyway, someone obviously got this to compile to make the boot
floppy image; is it just thatall the source files (namely aic7xxx_seq.h)
haven't been committed yet?  If so, could someone (Mr Gibbs, perhaps, if
you've got the time) mail me the file and where exactly it's supposed to
go?  So far as I can tell, it is being included by
/sys/i386/scsi/aic7xxx.c.

Thanks!

P.S.  This is as good a place as any to ask:  I work for the CS
department here at Virginia Tech and it's been decided that the
department will require incoming students to purchase PC's (running some
flavor of UNIX) instead of workstations.  I've been actively promoting
FreeBSD, which is why I'm trying to install it on this IBM machine
(which is a loaner/demo model to see if it would work).  We expect to
get another PC from DEC, and perhaps other vendors.  If I can
demonstrate that it (a) works well, and (b) is installed easily, I may
be able to convince my boss to recommend FreeBSD over, say, Linux,
Solaris x86, NextStep, etc...  What are some recommended configurations
that are "name" brands?  The reason I say that is that the department
*must* have some sort of service contract that they can count on.  In
the past, ponly people like IBM, DEC, and so on have been able to
provide that kind of support.

Thanks for the help; I'll post a summary if I get many informational