Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2017 11:59:31 +0000
From:      Andrew Hamilton-Wright <andrew.hamilton-wright@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: why recommend "portmaster -af" for full port rebuild?

I did experiment with '-d', but not with '-D', before switching back to usi=
ng "portupgrade -af" which in my experience has been much more satisfactory=
.

Thanks for the tip -- the next time I try "portmaster" I will look into it.

The main argument against a "poudriere" based solution is the amount of con=
figuration that that tool requires, as I understand it.  Both "portmaster" =
and "portupgrade" work out-of-the-box.

I am guessing that the recommendation of "portmaster" is likely based on th=
e fact that that port doesn't require the dependencies that "portupgrade" d=
oes, and if this is the case, that is certainly a valid point -- however I =
do think that it is fair to mention on the install page that one should exp=
ect a good bit of babysitting the rebuild if one were to follow the advice =
written there.

This time around, the babysitting included not only the usual "shall I dele=
te" questions regarding build products, but also several complete aborts of=
 the build process due to items with no maintainer.  I was quite surprised =
to see that "ncurses" was one of these, as that seems to be a critical piec=
e of many things.

In any case, "portupgrade -af" got me to where I needed to go, with only mi=
nimal cleanup required this morning after a full rebuild.

Thanks,

Andrew.