Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:29:21 +0200
From:      Paul van der Zwan <paulz@trantor.xs4all.nl>
To:        Thomas Quinot <quinot@inf.enst.fr>
Cc:        Paul van der Zwan <paulz@trantor.xs4all.nl>, current@freebsd.org, paulz@trantor.xs4all.nl
Subject:   Re: Multiple NFS server problems with Solaris 8 clients

In message <20011019183102.A20555@cosette.enst.fr>, Thomas Quinot wrote:
>Le 2001-10-14, Paul van der Zwan =E9crivait :
>
>> I am using -current box as a homedir server for my Solaris clients and=

>> have noticed a wierd problem.
>
>Other problems here, with Solaris 2.[68] as clients, and -CURRENT of
>yesterday as server. ls works, but ls -l issues a 'NFS getacl failed'
>message *and* waits for a timeout once for each file in the directory.
>
>The server is not multi-homed, and a packet capture shows no trace of
>address mismatch problems. One interesting thing is that the client
>first does GETATTR on the file (and apparently gets a reply), and
>then sends some other RPC, to which the server never replies.
>Could this be the getacl request mentioned in the client error message?
>I see no mention of getacl whatsoever in the -CURRENT server code. If
>no such function is implemented, shouldn't we reject the request?
>
>A packet capture is available at
>  http://www.infres.enst.fr/~quinot/nfs.cap
>
>Client is  137.194.192.1, server is 137.194.162.11. The test consists
>in first performing an 'ls' on one file, then an 'ls -l' on the same
>file. Result:
>
>ls photos-ta; ls -l photos-ta
>photos-ta
>NFS getacl failed for server shalmaneser.enst.fr: error 5 (RPC: Timed
>out)
>-rw-------   1 quinot   astre        474 Oct 18 14:17 photos-ta

I have looked at a trace I made using snoop and it shows an NFS_ACL call =
which
is not supported by FreeBSD. It should have sent a reply that it does not=

know the NFS_ACL protocol but apparently it does not. =

The only return traffic I see is an empty packet with the tcp ACK.
It looks like an implementation error in the -current NFS server.

	Paul

-- =

Paul van der Zwan		paulz @ trantor.xs4all.nl
"I think I'll move to theory, everything works in theory..."