Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 15:59:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr (Michel TALON)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stability

May i add my own story to the instability question?

I have run FreeBSD for several years without any problem.
I first ran 2.2.5, then upgraded via source to 2.2.8-STABLE, then
to 3.0 via the RELEASE cdrom, then via source to 3.1-STABLE
and today to 3.2-STABLE.

I had never noticed any unexpected reboot. But today my
machine paniced TWO times.

First while i was upgrading another machine through an NFS
mounted /usr/src /usr/obj, my desktop ran out of MBUFS
and rebooted. I had done that previously without incurring this
penalty. I must confess that i have the stock maxusers        32
but this never previously made such a problem. It seems that
now the mbufs consumption is bigger and one needs to increase the 32
which is still in the GENERIC kernel. Needless to say the load
on my desktop is small, it is not a high volume server.

Second i made a small experiment trying to see wether the floppy
problem is still there. Namelly dd something to a write-protected
floppy. The answer is still the same, namely instant panic.
Of course it is too easy to try to mount a protected floppy and
try to write on it. This should never produce a panic. The problem
was a bug report but has not been adressed.

I should like to comment that such things which where common
in old Linux distributions should not occur on the STABLE branch
of a serious and efficient system like FreeBSD. I think that
correcting such bugs is in my opinion more important that
producing 4 releases a year. Of course i understand that Linux
makes rapid progress, and closes the gap to FreeBSD, but is
it releasing buggy software in the same way as its competitor
that BSD is going to catch up?

In the past i was tired of the Linux story: upgrade kernel,
upgrade modutils, upgrade libc, and so on recursively
and was greatly impressed by FreeBSD stability. I would like that this
quality remains one of the major diffs with Linux.

Best regards to the marvelous team producing the BSD system.

--
Michel TALON