Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 16:49:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Odd libalias problem - resolved

Well, just in case somebody wants to know:

On a CVSup from yesterday, this morning I did a make world, rebuilt my
kernel, and rebooted.  The PPP launch (command line 'nice --18 ppp
-auto -alias wcn') gave me the message

Mar 15 13:54:14 detlev ppp[223]: Warning: _PATH_ALIAS_PREFIX
(/usr/lib/libalias.so.2.*): Invalid lib: Undefined symbol "_err" in
ppp:/usr/lib/libalias.so.2.5

ppp went ahead and loaded, and didn't enable aliasing.  Later, I
pppctl'd aliasing on, and discovered that whenever aliasing was
enabled, no connection over ppp worked, whether or not it originated
from the machine ppp was running on.

I verified the mtime on libalias, and that the file size was the same
as the one in /usr/obj.  (I forgot to check ppp.)  I cleaned and
rebuilt libalias and ppp, and now everything works fine.

I'm scratching it up to the full moon that hit during the 'make
world', but am documenting it (by writing this message) in case
somebody else has similar problems.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--