Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:24:06 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SoftUpdates/hardware write cache

I recently upgraded a SCSI disk on a 4.2-Stable box.

Apparently the new drive has the internal write cache turned off by
default.  I'm about to enable SoftUpdates with the tunefs thing and I
was wondering if I should also enable the disk's internal write
cache.  My experience in the past with other OS's says it can make a
big performance improvement.

This machine runs on a large UPS so power-loss isn't a big issue.

I know there is some Unix program that can at least read mode pages,
I'm hoping it can set them too.  My DOS program won't work on this
hardware and I'd hate to have to stick the drive on a Windows machine
to set that setting. :-)

TIA,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium