Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 2002 13:39:52 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        hans@lambermont.dyndns.org (Hans Lambermont)
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP Omnibook 6100 sound card ESS Allegro-1 not working

--==_Exmh_1966373440P

> Hi,

Hi Hans,

> Is there any HP Omnibook 6100 sound card news ?

Not from me. I canned the 6100 & reverted to the 6000. Sound is essential for
me on a "production" laptop when I'm travelling...

> Last entry I found here
> was from Andy Sparrow (Oct 09, 2001) and with a 4.5-STABLE of yesterday I
> still get the same results that Andy reported:
>     kldload snd_meastro3
>
>     pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> irq 5 at device 3.0 on pci2
>     pcm0: unable to allocate register space
>     device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>
> Yielding an empty /dev/sndstat while kldstat shows that snd_meastro3.ko
> is loaded.  There is no bios option to disable PNP OS in this Omnibook.

Because all the supported OS's for this machine are PNP OS...

That's HP's stance, apparently.

> So no working sound :( Any new things I could try ?

ISRT that the explanation at the time was that the BIOS isn't allocating the
resources for the device, thus the OS has to do it - but we don't.

I tried November's -CURRENT hoping that ACPI would do a better job, but it
made the laptop crash on boot. I provided the output of acpidump at the time -
you might like to try a recent -CURRENT snapshot, and see if this works now,
because this is The Way Forward, I guess.

Disabling ACPI let the machine boot. I found a combination of settings on
-CURRENT  that actually let me get sound (wheee!), but wouldn't give me
something else I considered vital at the same time - PCCARD, IIRC.

There was another guy working the same problems in December, see the -CURRENT
lists. Don't know how that ended up - I sold mine to a co-worker who wanted to
run Win2K & Linux on it...

Good luck!!

Cheers,

AS