Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 08:30:11 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Hetzels@aol.com
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD and Radius be used for a CyberCafe?

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 Hetzels@aol.com wrote:

> I am setting up a new Internet Business in my area.  This business would
> consits of a CyberCafe and Dial-Up Internet access.
>
> My Solution for the Dial-Up access is to use the Livingston PM-3 with a
> Radius Server for authentication.
>
> The CyberCafe would have 10 workstations running either Win95/FreeBSD.  My
> only problem is how do I autenticate the CyberCafe users? Can Radius be used?
>
> How do I autenticate users on theses workstations using Radius?

[other questions deleted]

I think you have things a little backwards.  Only the terminal server
and radius server need to understand Radius.  The workstations don't.
Run radiusd on a FreeBSD box which has an ethernet connection to the PM,
or just define users in the PM itself.  It depends on how many users you
want to authenticate.  Most cafes I know of charge by the 1/2 hour and it
does not matter who is using the terminal.

Yes, you do need a single password file, unless you can define alternate
radius servers in the PM, so you can have redundancy or two password
files with different admins.

The win95 box will just use standard PAP authentication.

Danny