Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 20:44:21 -2800 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@ulc199.residence.gatech.edu>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is "routed -q" necessary?

Brian Tao wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, Kenneth Merry wrote:
> >
> > It depends on what your network setup looks like.  If you control all
> > the machines on your subnet, there's no problem with running routed
> > -q.
>
>     Since I only have one default router anyway, there is no need to
> run routed at all?  I figured it might help keep the routing tables
> down to a manageable size, with static and dynamic IP connections
> coming and going all the time.

	Well, there *might* be a reason to run routed, even if you only
have one default router, and you hardwire the default router in ahead of
time.  It might make it easier if you ever had to take the default router
down, and didn't want the machines on the subnet to lose connectivity.  You
could put in a replacement router, and have it start advertising itself as
the default route.  Hopefully the machines on the subnet would pick up on
that (because of routed) and use the replacement router.  Then, you could
take the 'normal' router down.
	As for keeping routing tables down to a manageable size, I dunno.
Machines I've seen at work tend to pick up lots of unnecessary routes when
running routed.  Machines that don't run routed only have the routes that
are necessary -- one for hosts on the same subnet, and the 'default' route,
for everything else.  Someone more familiar with routing stuff might have a
better answer, though.  I'm speaking from experience in a somewhat limited
environment.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry