Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 1996 21:22:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mikel@esimene.cynet.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail Configuration

> My ISP has setup the following:
>
> esimene.cynet.net.au.    IN A    203.24.16.1
Okay.

> cynet.net.au.            IN A    203.24.16.1
Probably not what you really want, but should work.  This should
really just be:
cynet.net.au.		IN MX	10	esimene.cynet.net.au.

> Now...
>
> I have a reachable mail id (mikel@esimene.cynet.net.au)
>
> now I want to be able to have the address mikel@cynet.net.au working...
> ie, mail going to that address gets handled by esimene.cynet.net.au and
> recieved by the appropriate user on esimene.cynet.net.au
>
> I know this should be very easy... I have browsed through the man pages
> for sendmail, aliases etc to no success.
>
> Does the solution lie in creating an MX record like
>
> cynet.net.au.   IN MX   0  esimene.cynet.net.au.
>
> or is it a sendmail config?

Both, you need the A or MX record so that outside hosts connect to
esimene, then you need esimene itself to realize that it is also
being addressed as ``cynet.net.au''.  Add/Change the Cw line in
/etc/sendmail.cf to read:
Cwlocalhost cynet.net.au

> Any help or pointers to FAQs etc would be great!
O'Reiley's bat book ``Sendmail'' is a must have for anyone doing much
of anything with sendmail.