Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 10:15:33 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

At 03:41 PM 5/25/99 +0200, Christopher Bedford wrote:
>Our company has run 5 to 8 HP3000 MPE computers for more than 12 years
(classis CISC machines upgraded appx 8 years ago to RISC versions). In all
that time I can recall 2 OS crashes, both ages ago on the CISC versions. We
have followed all of the major version releases of MPE V to MPE XL to
MPE/ix (not always immediately) but almost none of the minors. The machines
just keep running... no patches, no crap.

Yes, but you could also run an older version of FreeBSD... no patches, no
crap, no new features, no security fixes.  MPE has one nice advantage of
'security through obscurity'... i.e. how many sites run publically exposed
MPE machines on the Internet that allow the same amount of hacking/cracking
to find bugs/holes.

One of our internal servers,

FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE #0: Tue Nov  4 16:20:42 EST 1997
devm: (4) uptime
10:12AM  up 430 days, 19:28, 1 user, load averages: 0.29, 0.41, 0.40

Given the same time frame of development that MPE has, and the same amount
of new features, I am sure FreeBSD could be made equally stable.

	---Mike