Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 15:51:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <joeo@cracktown.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: which pci 3d accelerator card to choose for XFree86-4

(trimmed "xpert" from the CC list)

On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> But what applications use dri under X-Windows ...
> X-Windows itself, gnome, ??? I'm usually not the typical
> Quake gamer under FreeBSD ;-))
>
> Concerning games ... I'd play them only under Windows.

In this case grab the Nvidia product or an ATI product.  3DFX is dead, its
very unlikley that DirectX 's coming iterations will support the V4/5 or
that any bugs discovered with the windows drivers for the V4/5 will get
fixed.

That said pretty much any OpenGL based game that runs under Linux or that
Unix'y source code is available for can either run under emulation or be
ported.

So far I've seen quake3 and UT for linux both work under emulation with
the DRI.  I haven't checked any of the productivty stuff like "blender".