Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:58:51 -0700
From:      John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
To:        qa@freebsd.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem with 4.3-RC1 w.r.t. laptops

Hello all,

I tried installing the 4.3-RC1 snapshot that Jordan cut an iso for
yesterday on my Dell Latitude CPx J laptop. Everything goes smoothly
except for PC card stuff. I have a 3com Megahertz Global GSM & Cellular
Modem PC Card (model no. 3CCM756--which doesn't appear to have an entry
in
pccard.conf). If I have this card in one of the slots while booting the
4.3-RC kernel it wedges solid during boot. Here is an excerpt of the
boot
messages:

  pcic0: <VLSI 82C146> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd000 on isa0
  pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
  pccard1: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
  <sio entries>
  ppc0: <blah>
  plip0: <blah>
  lpt0: <blah>
  ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

No, this is not much to go on, I know, but I couldn't capture the entire
boot messages. Even though this card isn't "supported" it shouldn't
wedge
the machine, no?

If I boot the machine from a 4.2-RELEASE cd or 4.1-RELEASE CD *WITH* the
card plugged in, there are no problems. In fact, I had 4.1-RELEASE
installed
on this laptop last week once I got it. pccardd was able to find this
3com
card "no problem" (although I didn't test it, it seemed to bind to sio4
pretty
well, so I think it really would be "supported"). So, what major changes
have
occurred with pccard--configuration changes in GENERIC for pccard?

Also, if I boot off the newly installed kernel (OR a custom kernel) and
insert the card (while running pccardd) it _wedges_ the machine
requiring a
cold power off.

On the good side, 4.3-RC1 looks pretty solid. I saw no errata in
sysinstall
worth mentioning. The only thing I would mention was the default sizes
it
chose for partitions. I have an almost-3Gb partition on which I was
installing.
Sysinstall chose:

  /      100Mb
  swap   (2x memory)
  /var   20Mb
  /usr   2355Mb

when sysinstall is presented a partition that is "sufficiently large,"
doesn't
it make sense to give the usr a /tmp partition? Either way the defaults
would
still work "reasonably well" for the average Joe.

Other than this PC card lockup, things look really really good!

-Jr

ps: on my custom kernel I'm using just what GENERIC did--using irq 0 for
pcic0
along with 0x3d0 and iomem 0xd000. However, a dmesg of the booted kernel
shows "pcic0: Polling mode" ... does this make sense? I'm new to pc card
stuff
so no flames please.