Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:44:04 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        Eugene Lee <eugene@anime.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ntpdate not working

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 12:42:19PM -0800, Eugene Lee wrote:

[...]
> I also set the machine with an "extreme" security level when I first
> installed FreeBSD.  Could that be related to the problem?

Yes. A quick read on init(8) reveals:

     2     Highly secure mode - same as secure mode, plus disks may not be
           opened for writing (except by mount(2)) whether mounted or not.
           This level precludes tampering with filesystems by unmounting them,
           but also inhibits running newfs(8) while the system is multi-user.

           In addition, kernel time changes are restricted to less than or
           equal to one second.  Attempts to change the time by more than this
           will log the message ``Time adjustment clamped to +1 second''.

There you have it.
--
Jonathan Chen                      |      To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
<jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>       |      To be is to do  -- Sartre