Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:15:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Doug Reynolds <mav@wastegate.net>
Cc:        Jeff Jeter <gsfgf_fbdq@hotmail.com>, Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HDD > 8.4 GB

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Doug Reynolds wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 01:41:54 -0500 (EST), Marco Radzinschi wrote:
>

> >Well, the root partition holds the kernel, so this has to be in the first
> >8.4 GB of the disk.
> >
> >Otherwise, unless the BIOS supports it, the boot loader will not be able
> >to load the kernel. Once the kernel is loaded, however, it will no longer
> >use the BIOS to access the disk.
> >
> >I know that the FreeBSD boot loader can boot past the 8.4 GB boundary, but
> >unless I am mistaken, it still uses the BIOS for the initial boot.
> >
> >If I am wrong on this, and the boot loader does not use the BIOS to load
> >the kernel, then one could get away with placing the /boot partition,
> >instead of the root partition, in the first 8.4 GB of the disk (1024 cyl).
> >
> >Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about the FreeBSD boot loader could
> >clarify this.
>
> i know if you DD (dangerously dedicate) a drive, the bios will just
> boot from the boot sector, like a floppy drive.
>
> the guy sounds like he is going to use the PC for a server or
> something, so that is probably the way to go, unless he is running
> another OS on the computer.
>
> ---
> doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

Yup! That's right, that I wanted to use the old 486 as a server,
and hence there will be no other OS than FreeBSD. Seems like it
will work, putting in a 40 GB HDD then, as long as I boot from
my 2.1 GB drive, and it will also work booting from the 40 GB
drive as long as the root partition with /boot is on the first
8.4 GB. Or have I been missing something? :-)

Thank you all for your answers!

Best regards,
Paul