Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:51:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        Frank A <jr.fpa@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual servers

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Frank A wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> 	I was looking into setting up Virtual machine environement for some
> customers on a machine of mine.  I am a true believer in FreeBSD and am
> 100% sure that this can be done.  I looked through the mailing list archive
> and found that Vitual Machines can be done.  It involves making changes in
> the /etc/services and a few other changes.  This emaal archinve was a
> little to vague for me, and I did not get the whole picture.
>
> I would like people to be able to telnet to there IP address and make
> changes, have there own password file so that they can add whatever users
> they want so they can have any email address/username they want for their
> domain.

If the only reason for this exercise is to give the clients ability to
create their own set of email-adresses, I would rather make a web-based
database of the users. Then regularly create an aliases and virtusertable
from that database.

Another option:
If you pre-make say 100 users: acme001 to acme100, I bet you can even
restrict webmin so they only can make aliaseses in their own domain.

Perhaps you can't prevent them from aliasing an emailadress in their
domain to an username in another domain, eg info@acme.com -> sam002, but
that's their priviledge to give mail away :-) They can't steal other
domain's mail.

Leif