Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:11:48 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mark Lastdrager <mark@pine.nl>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Redundant connections from separate isp's possible?

At Wed, 17 Jan 2001, owner-freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

>We're a small web hosting company wanting to have multiple routes from
>separate isp's coming into the webservers from the outside so that if one
>connection goes down, the other connection can still reach the servers.
>
>Can this be done?  Is this possible with freebsd as the router?  Are there
>better options from cisco et. al.?
>
>I searched the -net mail list archives and found a lot about load balancing
>multiple servers so one didn't get overloaded, but that's not our problem.
>We want multiple load balanced connections from the internet into the same
>server/network.
>
>Can this be done with separate isp's? or am I asking for trouble?  we
>currently have a single t1 and are looking at a 2.5 mbit DSL line to
>augment/backup the t1.  of course a different provider means a different
>network range allocated to us.  And here is where things get fuzzy for me.
>What do i tell internic?...ns1 -->network range 1, ns2 -->network range 2
>and have the name server hold an IP from each isp's network range?

You'll need at least two ISP's, your own IP addresses, an ASN and lots of
clue ;-) See http://www.netaxs.com/~freedman/bgp/bgp.html for more info
about BGP4.  This can be done using FreeBSD and zebra
(/usr/ports/net/zebra).

Mark Lastdrager

--
Pine Internet BV ::  tel. +31-70-3111010 ::  fax. +31-70-3111011
PGP 92BB81D1 fingerprint 0059 7D7B C02B 38D2 A853 2785 8C87 3AF1