Date:      Sat, 03 Jun 2000 12:27:58 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSDDEATH.c.txt (mmap dirty page no check bug)

Matt Heckaman wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Brett Glass wrote:
> [...]
> : An interesting related point: By default, the current sysinstall doesn't
> : create a separate /tmp. It leaves /tmp as a directory in the rather small
> : root partition. An action as simple as downloading a large file via Lynx
> : (which downloads to /tmp and then moves files to a destination) is
> : enough to overflow the root partition.
>
> I would like to see a system where it choose defaults based on two
> classes, we'll call them "workstation" and "server" for the purpose of
> this discussion. The defaults now are fairly decent for a workstation with
> the addition of /tmp mentioned herein.
>
> However, I've see alot of people new to FreeBSD get bit HARD by those
> defaults especially in any system that delivers e-mail to /var/mail. The
> default for /var is horribly low, I never did understand that myself. It
> would be nice to say "are you are server or workstation" and then spit out
> some better default variables based on the answer.

Actually the defaults are ridiculous in the days of 6GB disks being
hard to find.  I use 128MB root and var partitions on small laptops.

I do think it would be of value to ask quite early in the installation
if this is intended to be a workstation or server configuration and
suggest different defaults for such things throughout the install.

As always, we await your patches.  ;^)