Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 2010 18:45:12 -0500
From:      Paul Procacci <pprocacci@datapipe.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org" <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Linux.ko] VIDIOCGCAP

On 06/04/10 13:36, Paul Procacci wrote:
> On 06/04/10 02:05, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>
>> Quoting Paul Procacci<pprocacci@datapipe.com>   (from Fri, 4 Jun 2010
>> 00:40:00 -0500):
>>

>>> Gents,
>>>
>>> I'm running into a problem with getting video working on skype.  I am s=
>>> close, and I feel it's just one little thing left before it works.
>>>
>>> I've installed webcamd and skype from ports without problems.  Loaded
>>> the necessary modules, got the webcam working with other utilities, but
>>> skype (ah, good ole skype) is refusing to acknowledge the existence of
>>> /dev/video0.
>>>

>> It should work on a recent -current (if your cam is supported by
>> webcamd). If you are on -stable, you either have to move to -current,
>> or you need to wait a while (I didn't had the time to merge this into
>> 8-stable before the feature freeze, so I have to wait until 8.1 is out
>> to be able to put this functionality into 8-stable).
>>
>> Bye,
>> Alexander.
>>

> Hello Alexander,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me quickly.  Would have been quicker but the
> upgrade to -CURRENT had a couple of library bumps and I needed to
> recompile X.
>
> Anyways, now that I'm on -CURRENT, and have recompiled the necessary
> drivers, I can now see the device in skype and I'm not longer presented
> with the error message I provided.  This is great!
>
> I however have come across a new problem actually related to webcamd I
> believe.  Whenever I try to access the /dev/video0 device whether it's
> via /dev/video0 or /usr/compat/linux/dev/video0, webcamd is now being a
> resource hog and furthermore, takes a very long time to do anything.
>
> For example:
>
> 8816 root          6  44  r0F 32512K  3812K CPU2    0   3:32 200.00% webc=
amd

> Webcamd is just acting strangely at this point.  The good new is that
> multimedia/pwcview works, but has the symptoms described above of taking
> forever to start.  Skype however, is still borked.
>
> I assume this now needs to go back to the webcamd author to have a gander=
.

> Thoughts?
>

> Thanks Again,
> Paul

I would like to follow this up with:  I spoke to Hans today, and he
found that my "cpu was too fast" leading to a race condition in
webcamd.  Full details here:

http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=3D14786

In short, Hans has fixed the problem and webcamd is no longer an issue.
With the above said, skype is now able to see the device, but no video
can be gotten from it.  I've manually installed the libv4l rpm from fc10
into /compat/linux and tried preloading the necessary libs, but still no go=
.

It seems the v4l code was altered for linux somewhere around fc10, and I
assume this is the root of the problem.  The following page leads me to
this conclusion though I'm uncertain how accurate it is concerning BSD:

http://fedorasolved.org/multimedia-solutions/installing-skype

Due note they preload v4lcompat.so.  Tried this and still didn't work.

Any thoughts on the above?

Thanks once again,
Paul

This message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you ar=
e not the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this =
message.  See http://www.datapipe.com/about-us-legal-email-disclaimer.htm f=
or further information on confidentiality and the risks of non-secure elect=
ronic communication. If you cannot access these links, please notify us by =
reply message and we will send the contents to you.