Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 1998 23:21:51 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/8015: Some sysctl descriptions for the kernel

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR kern/8015; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
> To: seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
> Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: kern/8015: Some sysctl descriptions for the kernel
> Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 10:24:17 +0200
>
>  >	Seeing a commit message asking for descriptions on new sysctl
>  >entries I thought I might add some, too.  I choose the ones I could
>  >identify right away and knew what they were doing.
>
>  >	This is untested but I think it will work.  Unfortunately we
>  >don't have a tool to list the comments, yet so one can't really test
>  >them anyway.  :-(
>
>  That was actually my dream at one point, the comment would be in
>  SGML and some tool would walk all over the kernel and construct
>  some doc from that.

That was one of the things the Amiga folks had right.  They had a system
called 'autodocs' where there was man-page like documentation in the source
itself and that was extracted and turned into some fairly respectable
documentation.  They eventually released the tools and I think it spat out
something not too unlike texinfo.

Something like this would be an excellent replacement for the section 9
manuals where you don't really need fancy markup etc.

There were a number of plugins etc for various popular editors etc that you
could look up docs for some function on the fly - and by doing a context
sensitive lookup based on what you were editing.  For example, if you were
in the middle of typing a (say) tsleep(....) call, and you weren't sure of
the args you could have it look up tsleep for you with a single keypress.
The amiga development environment was rather different to the unix
environment though as everything was graphical and a popup window for an
editor was trivial.  This wouldn't work too well in a vi environment.

Cheers,
-Peter