Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:05:48 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "leegold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

Yeah for sure ..... I've got a heap of FreeBSD gateway boxes running around
the city, ranging from neanderthal Wang 386's to a relatively modern dual
P100
and the things just keep on trucking. However the headaches resulting from
attempts to
make sense of ANY existing documentation when I'm trying to figure out
something new are something else again !!!!. I for one am reluctant to setup
anything in FreeBSD for a business client unless I've already understood the
issue sufficiently well that I have written my own docs. There's no way one
can install / configure something unfamiliar & be confident it will work,
and no way to guarantee of prompt feedback from the already over-committed
list regulars. When one is under pressure to get the thing working like
yesterday its usually more expedient to resort to a different solution ....
even if its less robust, at least the office girl can be trained to hit the
"reset" button. If I had my choice (and money wasn't an issue) I'd probably
have all my office clients running Solaris 8 / StarOffice, but the realities
are that "everyone knows Win98 / MS Office", its relatively cheap, and
hitting "re-set" occasionally doesn't always wreck it :) The fact that its
somewhat of an unpedigreed canine is another issue ... it does the job.

 for How on earth anyone seriously expects "real world" consultants to
recommend FreeBSD to their clients is beyond me.