Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 09:20:36 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Jan B. Koum" <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        drew@etool.com, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. Solaris vs. FreeBSD? I could use some help - wanna comment?

Jan B. Koum wrote:

> You should have NO problem what-so-ever running SMP
> under FreeBSD at this point:

This isn't entirely true... I run FreeBSD-SMP, and have been running it for the
past 8 months... You need to be aware of some 'quirks' with 3.0-CURRENT, the
best way of doing this is to track the -current mailing list, and ask around a
bit...

For example, the new 'softupdates' code and SMP are still a definite no-no
(though someone is working on them), to be honest - if it's anything like a
production box I'd be tempted to leave switched 'off' all the 'new / cool'
FreeBSD 3.0 features you don't absolutely need...

Regards,

Karl Pielorz