Date:      21 Jan 2002 21:36:31 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Practicalities of FAQ->Handbook migrations

Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org> writes:

> I suppose we could.  I'd personally prefer a single book with
> everything in it, but will obey the consensus of the group.
>
> Whaddaya think, folks?

Ideally the handbook is comprehensive enough that the FAQ is not needed,
except perhaps as an alternative form of TOC/index into the handbook.

But as long as there are both a Handbook and a FAQ, and they are equally
well organized for finding info, the only reason I see to move info to
the Handbook is to eliminate duplication (so there is less to maintain
and less that users must read), and not to just make it smaller.

But since there has been and should be more investment of effort in
organizing the handbook, it makes sense to move stuff there.

When it's hard to find a place in the Handbook for something, I'd think
that's an indication that the Handbook organization needs expansion.  It
would be hard work (both design and implementation), but I think it's
the only thing that would make the move of info from the FAQ to the
Handbook valuable.

A catch-all chapter or book is no better than leaving the stuff in the
FAQ, except that you'd then have essentially have three places to look
for help (plus the man pages, articles, READMEs, etc).

P.S. Maybe more though needs to be given to multi-level presentation
of info; "Quick Start", "Cook-book of SA Tasks", etc., but I think
it's too much work and that level of stuff is best left to articles.
For now, it would be better to have a consistent level of rather
dense information.  (Maybe with some embedded examples and recipes.)
I.e., I don't see the FAQ as a place for an alternate level of info.

P.P.S.  I'd like the FAQ better if the top TOC had all the questions
instead of burying them at the start of each chapter.