Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2000 23:53:22 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Incorrect expression in handbook. Possible solutions (?)

On 10/7/00, 9:15:37 PM, Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it> wrote
regarding Incorrect expression in handbook. Possible solutions (?):

> Dear FreeBSD doc'ers,

> While I was reading "The Cutting-Edge"(tm), I ran into the following
> expression:

> This section will explain a bit about each and describe how to keep
> your system up-to-date with each respective tree.
>                             ^^^^^^^^^^

> The adjective "respective", which is used to premodify a noun phrase
> in order to indicate segregatory interpretation of a preceding
> conjoint noun phrase, requires a **plural** noun head. Possible
> replacements:

> <workaround I>
> "This section will explain a bit about each and describe how to keep
> your system up-to-date with each tree [respectively]."

> Here the "conjoint" (~ coordinated) noun phrase seems to be implicit:
> "This section will explain a bit about each (of them: ie -STABLE and
> -CURRENT,  considered individually) and describe how to keep your
> system up-to-date with each tree (STABLE and CURRENT, considered
> individually)."

> This would suggest either using "respectively" or omitting the
> segregatory adverb. I seem to understand that a segregatory meaning is=

> already expressed; which would probably make "respectively" redundant.=

> However, I am not quite sure that the sentence is fully correct: your
> system -->(?) each tree [respectively].
> </workaround I>

> <workaround II>
> "This section will explain a bit about each and describe how to keep a=

>  -CURRENT or -STABLE system up-to-date."
> </workaround II>

> <workaround III>
> "This section will explain a bit about each and describe how to keep
> your system up-to-date, whether you choose to run the former or the
> latter.
> </workaround III>

I am sorry, but I have to reply to myself *sigh*

<workaround IV>
"This section will explain a bit about each and describe how to
[correctly] perform an updating process in each case".
</workaround IV>

<workaround V>
"This section will explain a bit about each and describe how to keep
[your system (?)] up-to-date in each case.
</workaround V>

In the last workaround, I am not quite sure that the sentence
containing "your system" is perfectly correct. Maybe I am splitting
hairs, here.

HTH,
Salvo