Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 00:06:24 -0400
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quad Processor System

At 03:35 PM 5/23/99 -0700, David Greenman wrote:

>>>   The onboard Symbios SCSI controller won't work, but you can work around
>>>that by plugging in an Adaptec aha-2940u2w. I put together such a system for
>>>a client who is quite happy with it.
>>>
>>>-DG
>>
>>Why doesn't the onboard Symbios SCSI controller work?
>
>   It's a newer chip that isn't properly supported, at least when I last tried
>it a few months ago. The Adaptec chips are generally better supported in
>FreeBSD and I wouldn't consider anything else for systems that I build.

I have a set of their data books here (Symbios '875 '876 '895 '896) and have
been looking around in the ncr driver lately.  Do you have any concrete ideas
about what isn't working, or has no one ever bothered to teach the drivers
about the '895 series chips?

I find it very curious that the Adaptec controllers are such the rage
considering how hard I tried to get data books from them and failed.  Symbios
is only to happy to send out their data books.  I know Adaptec supports Justin
very well, but contrary to Justin's mail[*] of 5/8/98 I wasn't able to get any
documentation on the parts.

*
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=55133+58159+/usr/local/www/db/te
xt/1998/freebsd-hardware/19980503.freebsd-hardware
--------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com
http://www.ChrisBowman.com/