Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 00:51:22 -0700
From:      Guy Harris <gharris@flashcom.net>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journaling Filesystems in bsd?  (LFS, anyone?)

> > There are three patents of which I'm aware.
> could you be more specific, please?

A search of IBM's Patent Womplex:

	http://patent.womplex.ibm.com/

for patents assigned to Network Appliance ("Advanced Text" search)
found:

	US patent 5,819,292 "Method for maintaining consistent states of
	a file system and for creating user-accessible read-only copies
	of a file system";

	US patent 5,963,962 "Write anywhere file-system layout";

	US patent 6,038,570 "Method for allocating files in a file
	system integrated with a RAID disk sub-system" (which isn't a
	patent on WAFL by itself, it's a patent on the way we try to
	arrange to write as many blocks in a stripe as possible).

(The other patents of ours it found are US 6,119,244 "Coordinating
persistent status information with multiple file servers" (on our
failover mechanism), US 5,950,225 "Fly-by XOR for generating parity for
data gleaned from a bus" (on a hardware mechanism for doing RAID XORing
while transferring data - we don't use that, though), and US 5,948,110
"Method for providing parity in a raid sub-system using non-volatile
memory" (on recording in-progress RAID stripe writes in NVRAM so that,
if the system dies in the middle of a stripe write, we don't have to
scan the entire RAID group to make sure the parity block is correct in
all stripes).)