Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 09:45:56 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: makeworld.html

On 5/17/00, 12:36:37 AM, Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net> wrote regarding
RE: makeworld.html:

> Sorry,

> I accidently deleted the e-mail that this is in reply to.

> Someone wrote that there are multiple references to mergemaster in the=

> questions archive.

> My point is that someone new would not know to search for keyword
> "mergemaster" in the archives.  I did the search in docs to which
there is
> no reference.

<snip>

Dear Mr Weeks,

My strictly personal opinion is that someone new should NOT rush to
perform a source upgrade **without** first subscribing to the
appropriate mailing list(s) -- which is also indicated in the
handbook. IMSPO, the reason for this is the nature itself of the OS:
open-source, ie rapidly changing (=3Devolving).

Alternatively, one can browse the relevant archives (e.g. -STABLE)

Not surprisingly, a large number of questions about the OS are asked
in "-questions" -- which is written in the handbook. For an
open-source OS, the archives ARE a resource.

Albeit a source upgrade is not usually difficult, it may create
unsurmountable difficulties, especially for a non-RTFMing person who
neither subscribes to the appropriate FreeBSD mailing lists nor
browses their archives.

Some changes (e.g. a script such as mergemaster) are relatively
recent, and the documentation for them may be pending (or incomplete,
or even missing), as someone else pointed out. Incidentally, nothing
prevents you from contributing to this area ...

Sincerely,
Salvo Bartolotta