Date:      Fri, 15 May 2020 08:19:22 -0700
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Conflict on very first port (xorg) on rpi3

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 12:33:10AM -0700, Mark Millard via freebsd-ports wrote:

> Some building and isntalling had to occur prior to the
> textproc/py-sphinx18 build attempt, possibly from
> prior session(s) of building and installing.

In this case x11/xorg was the first port attempted in a new
ports tree. The only "prior sessions" would have been within
the dependencies of x11/xorg. Is that resolvable by poudriere?

In compiling poudriere I tried to use the qemu option, since
this is on and for a non-x86 architecture. It failed, as arm64
is apparently not supported. Is it required?

> textproc/py-sphinx18 is new as of 2020-May-11.
> The devel/llvm[16789]0 ports require textproc/py-sphinx18 .
> Only about 26 ports require textproc/py-sphinx18 but
> I'll not list the others.
>
> textproc/py-sphinx has been around longer and has
> 142 ports that require it. I'll not list them.
>

> textproc/py-sphinx18/Makefile lists:
>
> CONFLICTS_INSTALL=      py*-sphinx
>
> textproc/py-sphinx/Makefile lists:
>
> CONFLICTS_INSTALL=      py*-sphinx18
>

> So, for example, indirectly the devel/llvm[16789]0
> ports conflict with at least 142 other ports because
> of the textproc/py-sphinx* difference in requirements.
>

> The conflict is real and limits what combinations
> of ports you may have installed at the same time.

I'll try deinstalling the conflicting port and hope
it won't be required later....

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska