Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 18:00:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        michael@memra.com (Michael Dillon)
Cc:        craigs@OS.COM, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

Lo and behold, Michael Dillon once said:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Craig Shrimpton wrote:
>
> > Is anyone using the disk concatenator for FreeBSD on a news spool?  It looks
> > like it can dramatically increase performance but seems a little "hairy" to
> > setup.

We're using the ccd for striping news right now and it's really quite
fun.  Our server is a P133 with two adaptec 2940UW's, and a few 4gb
drives (soon to be replaced with 2gb drives).

> There are a few things about FreeBSD that I don't understand well enough
> right now. One of them is software RAID striping and it sounds like ccd
> does this? Another one is whether FreeBSD supports MMAP.

   Yes, and yes.

> And then there is the whole NNRPD shared active thingy.

   DEFINITELY yes.  The sharedactive patch is a huge blessing for your
RAM consumption.  It freed up almost 25 megs on our server when we
installed it.

> There have already been a couple of messages that make me think FreeBSD
> might be the better choice of OS here. Since running an effective fullfeed
> USENET news server is getting harder and harder these days I'm sure that
> there are others who would welcome hearing about how it is done.

   We're very pleased with it.  We made a few mistakes with it (using
slightly lower quality drives than we should have and using 4gb drives
instead of 2gb drives) that we're correcting now, and the performance
keeps going up as we do.  Using ccd was a good performance boost as well;
probably not as much as an external RAID array, but it also didn't cost
us an arm and a leg.

   Joe Greco would be a good person to ask about a FreeBSD news server -
he runs a fairly large one and has been very successful doing so under
FreeBSD.

    -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)