Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 01:41:56 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Itanium

------- Blind-Carbon-Copy

To: Rasmus Skaarup <rasmus@gal.dk>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 01:41:56 -0700
From: Mike Smith <msmith@mass.cdrom.com>

(This is not the list for this question, please do not follow up here)

> RedHat has released a alpha distribution for the 64-bit Itanium
> processor.
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2571379,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01
>
> And SGI is on the wagon aswell.
>
> http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2000/may/linux-ia64.html

Yes, and Pacific Hitech have had a release out for some time.  They're
all members of the Trillium project (www.linuxia64.org), which has been a
closed cabal for some time now.

> What is the plans for FreeBSD, will there be an Itanium distro? If so, is
> there any time schedule?

FreeBSD doesn't have "distros", so no, there will not be an "Itanium
distro".  There is, however, an effort underway to port FreeBSD to the
IA-64 architecture/platform being sponsored by BSDi.  This is somewhat
complicated by the fact that hardware is difficult to come by, but we do
have a degree of support from Intel.

At this point in time, there isn't a public time schedule other than "as
soon as possible consistent with the production of a solid port".  We're
still looking for team members to fill a number of roles in this effort,
by the way.

- --

------- End of Blind-Carbon-Copy