Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 2008 15:56:24 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Subject:   Re: console locked again:: load over 2.00

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 08:53:20PM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 11:45:10AM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > Any ideas *why* my load is so high when my desktop wasn't touched for
> > 9, 10 hours?  I was running mostly KDE3 konsoles, and had a few other
> > processes going, the apps iconisized.  The server is still running;
> > I've killed everything I can think of to reduce the load.  It may be
> > that the screen won't come back if the load is > 1.00.  I'm upgrading
> > my kernel to see if *that* has any effect.  O/wise, I'm out of ideas.
>
> Try leaving 'top -SI' running in a console window. That should tell you what
> the culprit is.

	Looks like gnome-xscreensaver went nutso after several hours.  This
	morning I found my FreeBSD screen about a third full of green and yellow
	"fuzz" or "blur."  This time, I KVM'd over to ubuntu and did a shutdown
	and reboot at once; then killed the screen saver after getting back into
	KDE3.

	I was just listening to KMplayer and watching sites with required kde-gnash.
	When I Closed[*] the sites and killed the newscast, my load was still > 1.50
	so I did a killall of the kde-gnash.  Needs to be some way of controlling
	the number of kde-gnashes that are spawned.  After the killall, xload
	shows my load back down to practically nothing.

	--Still having trouble with *firefox* + flash, but that's another
	rat's nest.....

	gary

	[*] iconizied

--