Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 17:53:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph@randomnetworks.com>
To:        "Marcel R. Wingate" <MWingate@cbm-wa.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Samba

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Marcel R. Wingate wrote:

> Got samba working...
>
> What I would like to do now is to set up shares that don't prompt for a
> username and password.  A public share where users don't need an account.

	I think what you want there is to make sure you have a guest
account setup, and for that share set guest ok to yes.  If you are using a
recent version of Samba use swat (it comes with samba, and gets installed
if you are using the ports collection) to configure things, I found it
fairly easy to use.

> Also, anyone setup netatalk (to make FreeBSD visible from Macs)?

	I did on a couple of machines for a little while.  I was really
surprised how easy that was to do.  You'll need to recompile your kernel
with netatalk support.  By default it will export home directories, which
was all I ever needed it for.  I was only using it lightly for a few weeks
though, so I'm sure others have more info on it.

> 	Thank you,
> 	Marcel R. Wingate
> 	     	Systems Analyst

Joseph Scott