Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 12:25:34 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware Recommendations Requested

Marc G. Fournier stands accused of saying:

> Hard Drives: Quantum or Fujitsu?  Will vary from 500meg to 2Gig

Seagate.  Yes, they have a black past, but their gear works on the whole
and performs pretty well.  Seagate are clear leaders in SCSI target
firmware.
Quantum are improving again in my books, but I don't have enough experience
with their new gear to be sure.

> Video: Trident 512K ISA SVGA

You can go cheaper 8)

> Motherboard: 486DX4-100, ASUS, PCI

A pentium won't cost a lot more, and has lots more grunt.  If you're
cutting corners, either ASUS or SOYO boards are good; basically for '486
motherboards you want something based on the SiS 496/497 chipset.
ASUS do this on the PVI486SP3, SOYO have a number of boards using it.
Note that there are allegedly problems with ISA busmasters in these
boards, and the VLB implementation is slave-only.
The SOYO board is IMHO nicer in that it has 4 SIMM sockets where the ASUS
only has two.

> Memory: 32Meg Parity 72pin SIMMS - Brand ??

Triton boards don't use parity.  Many 486 boards don't either.

> Ethernet: SMC 8013, 10baseT
>
> 	If I were to go with a PCI SMC Ethernet card (which SMC is
> it that supports the DEC DC21x40 100/10Mbs chipset again?) but
> only am using a standard 10baseT hub currently, would I see any
> performance difference over the ISA model?  Ie. would I get any
> more data throughput using a PCI model over the ISA?

You'll use less CPU for the same throughput.  The SMC EtherPower PCI 10/100
is the card you're thinking of.

> SCSI Controller: ASUS SC-200 (PCI)
>
> 	SCSI controller...should I stay away from the ASUS SC-200?  if

Not at all.  These are wonderful cards.

> 	I think that about covers it.  I'm trying to build a machine
> that I won't have to worry too much about hearing "its a hardware
> problem" if I have any kernel panics, so want to be confident in what

You'll want to world a few times on it with it running 100% before you
can be sure you don't have dud memory.