Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 13:51:09 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        nclayton@lehman.com, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mozilla@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jazilla project looking for CVS mirror

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 09:59:45AM +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> that would be an interesting thing. given that mozilla is a memory pig and
> some JVM's are reported to be very memory hungry, it will be
> interesting to see if a merge of the two things will generate the
> biggest application ever seen or there are beneficial effects.

Mozilla 5.0 is likely to be much better than the old Netscape when it comes
to memory.  For one thing the binary is now about 20% of the size of 4.x and
also it uses a more modular design (eg it will use the system java as a pug
in rather than having it's own JVM).

Jazilla is a bit of a waste, since Mozilla 5.0 is only about 10% platform
dependant code, and things like the layout engine really need the extra
speed from C/C++.  It will also be ported to a fairly big number of
platforms, and those where it is not are likely to be ones where Java is not
available or memory restrictions would mean that a native binary would do a
better job.

At the moment I'm waiting for a workable tarball to do an update of the
mozilla port.

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
  |   "I could be anything I wanted to, but one things true
--+--  Never gonna be as big as Jesus, never gonna hold the world in my hand