Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 1995 23:00:11 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        rcarter@geli.com (Russell L. Carter)
Cc:        dennis@et.htp.com, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why Linux? (fwd)

> From Dr. Dobbs Developer Update, September 1995, p.6, quote:
>
> "In the case of HTTP servers, the survey found that the most popular server
> is NCSA (38.6%), followed by MacHTTP (20.8%) and CERN (18.5%), leaving about 10%
> for all other servers."

That figure is wrong, by a massive margin. It's more like, NCSA
(57%), CERN (19.69%), Apache (3.47%) and MacHTTP (2.83%), with
Apache being the fastest growing server I think. I have a good
source but it's not publically available yet. If people are interested
in this sort of thing I'll announce it here when it's available.

> and
>
> "MacHTTP is the hands-down easiest server software to install and operate,
> requiring only a single mouse-click to get you on the air"
>
> Does this surprise anybody besides me?  Evidently, ease of installation
> counts for something.

Who wrote the article?

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul