Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2019 15:50:28 -0800
From:      Ravi Pokala <rpokala@freebsd.org>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Request for Recommendations: media / transcode server

    Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 14:15:49 +0100
    From: Jan Bramkamp <crest@rlwinm.de>
    To: freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org

    On 14.11.19 09:40, Ravi Pokala wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > For a few years, I've known that my media server's motherboard[1] was potentially vulnerable to a bricking issue[2]. It looks like that day has come. :-/
    >
    > Or it might just be "normal" old-age, since I've had the board for ~4.5 years.
    >
    > Either way, I find myself in need of a new motherboard. My requirements are:
    >
    > - 2C/4T amd64 (4C/8T preferred)
    > - 2x DDR4 slots (4x preferred)
    > - 6x SATA ports (8x preferred)
    > - 2x 1GbE NICs
    > - 1x 80mm M.2 slot (2x preferred, 110mm preferred)
    > - 1x PCIe x8 slot (2x preferred)
    > - BMC w/ dedicated NIC
    >
    > Suggestions?

    I just ordered a X470D4U motherboard and Ryzen 3600X CPU.

    * There are multiple Ryzen CPUs with 4 cores and SMT

    * The board has four DIMM slots.

    * The board has 8 SATA ports (6 connected to the chipset)

    * The board has two M.2 slots with movable nuts

    * The board has dual onboard gigabit NICs

    * The board has 3 PCIe slots. The 16x slot downgrades to 8x if the
    second 8x slot is populated.

    * It is one of two AM4 boards with a BMC and a dedicated IPMI NIC.

    I will assemble the system tonight and report back if you want to know
    how it runs under FreeBSD 12.1.

I ended up getting an SMC A2SDi-4C-HLN4F, which fits my needs well enough. I ran into a bit of an issue when I put it together last night - my previous system was booting with legacy BIOS interfaces, but the new board defaulted to UEFI. That thought didn't occur to me until I was driving to work this morning, so I'll have to try changing that setting when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the offer, and enjoy the new system! :-)

-Ravi (rpokala@)